2009/09/14

The Sopranos 5x06 - Sentimental Education 英文筆記

  • reimburse 補償、賠償、償還
    例:I'll reimburse you.
  • pissy 討厭的、像尿一樣臭的
  • one of these days 總有一天
    例:One of these days, you wait, I'm gonna kick your fucking ass.
  • cogent 令人信服的、有說服力的、切實的
    例:Anthony submitted his one-line topic late. Then two drafts. The first was apparently sketchy. The second, Fiske said, was "suspiciously cogent." Plagiarism.
  • plagiarism 抄襲、剽竊
  • cold fish 沒有感情的人、冷漠的人
  • stomach in knots 胃痛、肚子絞痛
    例:My stomach is in knots.
  • unpretentious 不驕傲的、謙虛的
  • vascular 血管的、脈管的
  • neurotomy 神經解剖學、神經切斷術
  • intellectual 知識份子、聰明的、知性的
  • papal nuncio 羅馬教廷大使
  • joyride 開車兜風 (可指偷車)、追求享樂
  • masseur 男按摩師
  • soothe 使平靜、安撫、撫慰
    例:Four or five tables, soothing atmosphere.
  • storefront 店面、店頭
  • travel agency 旅行社
  • caseworker 社會工作者
  • demoralizing 使失去信心的、使士氣低落的
  • non-negotiable 不可談判的、不可改變的
    例:For me to even consider having you back, we're gonna have to establish some non-negotiable ground rules.
  • first and foremost 最重要地、首要地、首先地
    例:First and foremost, school comes first. That means putting the brakes on your social life, parties, phone calls, Devin.
  • put the brakes on 暫停、停止
  • potty mouth 喜歡說髒話的人
  • whip into shape 鞭策、使某人有很大的改善
    例:I think his time over there with me whipped him into shape a little.
  • coracoid process 肩胛骨的一部分
  • on the tip of one's tongue 快要說出來、幾乎記起來
    例:It's on the tip of my tongue.
  • keep your shirt on 放輕鬆、冷靜
    例:- Vito, where the fuck is my Tupperware? - Keep your shirt on. My wife's bringing it down this afternoon.
  • pectoralis minor 胸部附近的某個肌肉名稱
  • biceps 二頭肌
  • mind all over the place 不專心、注意力不集中
    例:My mind's all over the place.
  • exhilaration 高興、愉快
  • abbot 方丈、男修道院院長、男住持
  • enrich 使富裕、使肥沃、充實
    例:Eduction should never stop. It enriches all aspects of life.
  • matriculate 准許入學、被錄取 (進大學)
    例:All our students matriculate.
  • licensure 執照的核發
  • bodywork 以觸摸身體為主的療法 (如按摩和指壓)、修車工作
  • remorseful = regretful 懊悔的、悔恨的
  • resolve 堅決、決心
    例:You need to show resolve, a firm purpose to change.
  • here and now 此時此地
    例:So this man takes you to restaurants, fulfills certain physical desires, tells jokes. But will he be there beyond the here and now?
  • penance 懺悔、為了證明悔改的決心,你自己或牧師交付給你做的事。
    例:For your penance, I want you to do something kind for Tony.
  • shiatsu 指壓
  • oasis 綠洲、避難處
  • hand cream 護手霜、潤手霜
  • koi 錦鯉
  • carp 鯉魚
  • ginseng 人參
  • happy ending 女按摩師 (通常是亞洲的) 按摩後的特別服務
  • discreet 小心的、慎重的
  • go over 檢查、審查、查看、重溫
    例:Mr. Wegler pulled me out of language lab to go over my term paper notes.
  • term paper 學期進度報告
  • actuary 精算師、會計
  • unload on 推卸給、把什麼推給誰
    例:I'm finding the other copy when Gene the actuary completely unloads on me.
  • garbage pail 垃圾桶
  • fetus 胎兒
  • intellectualism 理智主義、知性主義
  • eyeglasses 眼鏡
  • take a beating 挨打、受打擊、被擊敗
    例:I just took a beating at craps.
  • craps 花旗骰 (一種賭博遊戲)
  • scalp 剝頭皮、掠奪、欺騙、賣黃牛票、非法賣買 (以大賺一筆)
    例:Pocahontas here is scalping us.
  • take a stand 表示意見、採取立場
    例:Honestly, the important thing is you took a stand. A lot of parents just take it in stride or even condone it.
  • act out 假裝、扮演
    例:No, that was just acting out. He was with a bad crowd.
  • late bloomer 年紀較大才展露頭角的人、晚熟的人
  • keep pace with 跟上腳步、並駕齊驅
    例:AJ's just fighting to keep pace with the kids who seem further ahead.
  • blast 好玩、美好的時間
    例:Thanks. It was a blast.
  • hit the sack/rack 睡覺、休息
    例:I'm going to hit the sack for the next 14 hours.
  • ditch digger 挖溝渠的工人
  • vocational/trade school 職業學校、專科學校
  • glow-in-the-dark = phosphorescence 螢光、磷光
  • put the arm on 施壓、給誰壓力
    例:Every time I think about putting the arm on Tom Fiske, I want to poke my eyes out with a knitting needle.
  • knitting needle 編織針、毛衣針
  • strong-arm 攻擊、威脅、打
    例:You strong-armed me using the only weapon you have. Your pussy.
  • full boat/house 葫蘆
  • spiff 吸引人的
  • con/scam artist 詐騙者
  • wolf in sheep's clothing 披著羊皮的狼、偽君子

0 意見:

張貼留言