2009/07/15

The Sopranos 4x12 - Eloise 英文筆記

  • calculating 慬慎的、精明的、會算計的
    例:Corrado Soprano is not some harmless old man being persecuted by the government, but a ruthless and calculating mob boss who controls a vast criminal enterprise.
  • vast 巨大的、龐大的
  • clandestine 秘密的、暗中的
    例:Over the pass few months, you've heard from FBI agents who have documented clandestine meetings at his doctor's offices.
  • bid rigging (法律用語) 暗中操縱競標,一種詐騙手法。
  • sweetheart deal 私下協議,通常指腐敗政府官員的祕密交易。
  • payoff 發薪、賄賂、還債。例:secret payoff
  • cramped 吃緊的、(因空間小) 阻礙的、有限的
    例:It seems to me, is to show how mean humans can be to each others. Especially when living in cramped conditions.
  • carb = carbohydrate 碳水化合物、醣
    例:That's all there is for breakfast, is fat and carbs?
  • bitch fest 抱怨大會 (指會議淪為一群人在那裡抱怨,毫無建設)
    例:For two years, it's been a bitch fest about how we never get away. So I make it happen. Top shelf across the board. All of a sudden, her mother's psoriasis is like the bubonic fucking plague.
  • top shelf 頂級的、頭等的
  • across the board 涵蓋所有人 (或全程) 的
  • psoriasis 牛皮癬
  • bubonic plague 淋巴腺鼠疫
  • clubhouse 俱樂部會所
  • debacle 崩潰、潰裂
    例:- This shit with Tony? - Total debacle.
  • sunblock/sunscreen 防曬油
    例:You put your sunblock on?
  • end run (美式足球) 帶著球躲避障礙,跑到終點得分。可比喻突破或閃避障礙。
    例:I'm not sure I like that he did that end run.
  • allegorical 比喻的、寓意的、象徵的
    例:He's an old-fashioned guy, Pop. Very allegorical.
  • mulligan 什錦羹、發球發太爛而要求重新發球 (高爾夫球)
    例:You're distracting me. I'm taking a mulligan.
  • back into a corner 使陷入困境
    例:I'm afraid that you backed yourself into a corner, this HUD thing.
  • tad 小孩子、少量、微量
    例:Remember, Carmine, even from the beginning I felt 40 was a tad steep.
  • poseur = poser 裝模作樣的人、裝腔作勢的人
    例:He's a bit of poseur, if you ask me.
  • talk the talk (and walk the walk) 說道理 (並身體立行)
    例:- Tony. He likes to talk the talk, I don't know. - What did he say? - His turf, his appraiser.
  • resod 重新蓋 (鋪) 草皮
    例:Did they resod that green?
  • glorified 美其名的、被讚美的
    例:Family? I told you, they're glorified crew.
  • on reflection 考慮後、想到之後
    例:- I've been close with Tony for a lot of years. - On reflection, John, maybe that's the sticking post. Tony feels like you're friends and not business associates.
  • nose in the air 自大、趾高氣昂、自以為了不起
    例:The man in the store says to put mirrors, but Mama thinks it's nose-in-the-air when people look at themselves.
  • light-colored 亮色的
    例:We should pick a light-colored ceramic tile maybe.
  • top dollar 高價、很多錢
    例:Julius La Rosa would sing with that voice of his. Top dollar, they paid.
  • horse and buggy 馬車
  • go places 有成就、成功
    例:She's going places, that girl. Poised, mature. Cooks for these other two.
  • poised 穩重的、穩定的、平衡的、泰然自若的
  • speak of the devil 說人人來、說曹操曹操就到
  • shape up 成形、順利發展、形成
    例:The place is really shaping up.
  • chopper 用直升機載
    例:Why don't you chopper them out?
  • hasta la vista = see you later (西班牙語) 待會見、再見
  • worse off 惡化、情況更槽、每況愈下的
    例:He's probably worse off than me.
  • hazy 朦朧的、霧朦朦的、模糊的
    例:My memory's a little hazy.
  • zip 小人物、微不足道的事物
    例:Furio called. The stupid zip moved back to Italy.
  • humongous 巨大的、龐大的
    例:There's this humongous stone fireplace.
  • Pyrenees 庇里牛斯山
  • countess 女伯爵、伯爵夫人
  • pervade 彌漫於、遍及於、流行於、散佈於
    例:This stuff is pervading our educational system, not to mention movies, TV shows.
  • self-loathing/hatred 自我厭惡
    例:- Bily Budd is a story of an innocent sailor being picked on by an evil boss. - Who is picking on him out of self-loathing caused by homosexual feelings in a military context.
  • biblical 聖經的
    例:It's a biblical reference, does that make it gay?
  • parakeet 小型鸚鵡、鸚哥
  • peaks and valleys 高峰和低谷、起起落落
    例:Every friendship has its peaks and valleys.
  • smart-alecky 自作聰明的、自以為懂的
    例:Don't give me that smart-alecky shit.
  • wormy 蠕蟲的、蟲蛀的
  • fuss 大驚小怪、大題大作、忙亂
    例:I didn't see what all the fuss was, particularly for what it cost.
  • doggy bag 餐廳給客人用來打包剩餘食物的袋子
  • break 找開、換零錢
    例:I have a 100 I need to break. 我有一張一百元鈔票要找開。
  • savings account 存款帳戶
  • substantial 大量的、為數不少的、很多的
    例:It's come to our attention this site is employing a substantial number of non-union laborers in violation of our master contract.
  • civic duty 公民義務
    例:It's a privilege. Hard-working guy. Wife and two kids. Performing a civic duty we should all take part in.
  • take part in 參加、參與
  • on second thought 重新考慮之後
    例:On second thought, I'll just meet you there.
  • caliber 程度、水準
    例:This business agent he owns was there from the union. Put on a Emmy-caliber performance.
  • retaliation = revenge 報復、報仇、復仇
  • notwithstanding 儘管、雖然
    例:I am not wearing the gloves. Soprano family tradition, notwithstanding.
  • literary critic 文學評論家
    例:I was merely pointing out to you what serious literary critics have to say about the book.
  • trolley 電車、手推車
  • queasy 令人想吐的、催吐的、噁心的
    例:My joints ache, my stomach is all queasy.
  • goggles 護目鏡、蛙鏡
  • solder 焊接
    例:I had to solder something in my computer.
  • Venice 威尼斯
  • wipe off 擦去、去除、清掉
    例:My kitchen's all wiped off for the night.
  • bring up to date 更新、趕上進度、現代化
    例:I know things have been slow lately. That ought to bring us up to date.
  • epidemic 傳染病、流行病
  • menopause 更年期
  • have come way too far to 已經走太遠了,來不及反悔或放棄。
    例:We've come way too far to let it all go to shit.
  • second gear 二檔
    例:With all due respect, you wanna go down memory lane, put it in second gear.
  • preach to the choir 跟支持者講道理。他們都已經支持你了,何必再白費唇舌?
    例:- It's on page four of the boss manual, John. Jesus! - You're preaching to the choir, Tony.
  • at heart 內心裡、本質上
    例:At heart, I know you're a pragmatist. As I am.
  • barge 遊艇、平底船
  • hate guts 非常討厭、恨之入骨
    例:She hates my guts.

0 意見:

張貼留言