2009/01/13

The Sopranos 2x10 - Bust Out 英文筆記

  • windshield 擋風玻璃
    例:The light was reflected off the windshield.
  • heavyset 體格魁武的
  • ragweed 豕草
  • be fed up with sth. 受夠、厭煩
    例:I'm so goddamn fed up with crime.
  • cadet 軍隊新鮮人、剛入伍的菜鳥
  • bow tie 蝶形領結
  • tonnage 噸位、噸位稅
  • township 鎮區
  • picnic cooler (bag) 野餐籃
  • raise a red flag 亮紅燈、出現警訊、可能有危險
    例:Won't it raise a red flag with travel agency?
  • in bulk 大批、大量
    例:A sports store charges airline tickets in bulk?
  • horn 話筒
  • backboard 籃板、靠背板
  • cabana 小屋
  • cap 殺、開槍射殺
    例:Tony capped the Bevilaque kid.
  • boar 公豬、野豬
  • husky 高大健壯的
  • accomplice 幫兇、共犯
  • throw away the key 把牢房的鑰匙丟掉,即處以無期徒刑。
    例:I ought to burn you right now and let the judge throw away the fucking key!
  • nose blowing 擤鼻涕
  • coinage 幣制、創造新字詞
  • procrastinate = postpone 延遲、耽擱、拖延
  • get one's ducks in a row 妥善處理或安排
    例:Let me get our ducks in a row.
  • midlife crisis 中年危機
  • scavenger hunt 一種找尋事先藏好物品的遊戲
  • count noses / heads 點名
  • fence 擊劍、劍術
  • tie up 完結、完成
  • loose end 未完成的事
    例:All right. Next week, my house. We'll tie up the loose ends.
  • glare 照得刺眼、怒視
    例:The light bulb glares the "one" ball when I rack.
  • felt 毛毯、毛布
  • erotic 性感的、挑逗的
    例:I find powerful men erotic.
  • "When your opponent gives you an opening, be swift as a hare." 出自孫子兵法:「敵人開戶,後如脫兔。」
  • lamb chop 羊助骨肉
  • bygone 過去的 (事)
    例:Bygones are never bygones.
  • infested  泛濫的、蔓延的、大批出沒的
    例:That poor prick he had five minutes to run and ended up in some rat infested motel down in Elvis country.
  • lien 留置權、抵押權
    例:I open my mail and it's a lawsuit. It's a lien on the building!
  • preoccupied 出神的、忙碌的、迷住的、心事重重的
    例:Dave's been even more preoccupied than usual lately.
  • wait on one's hand and foot 全心全力照顧某人、服伺
    例:When his wife was dying, he waited on her hand and foot.
  • hostile womb 一種不孕症,有敵意的子宮,免疫系統會攻擊胎兒。
  • rod and reel 釣桿和捲線器
  • back order 賣完了,等待補貨。
    例:You wanted it for Christmas last year, remember? We couldn't get it because it was back-ordered?
  • bittersweet 又苦又甜的、苦樂參半的
  • brat 頑童、搗蛋鬼
  • barricade 阻擋、設置路障、築柵防禦
    例:Do you remember they caught you up at Garret Mountain and had you barricaded in your old man's car, and I whipped that rock and hit that guy in the eye?
  • reminisce 回憶、回想
    例:Don't reminisce on me.
  • The Scorpion and the Frog 寓言故事,蠍子要求青蛙載他過河,並保證不會螫青蛙,但在過河途中,蠍子還是螫了青蛙,結果兩人都死在河裡。死前青蛙問蠍子為什麼這麼做,蠍子回答:"I'm a scorpion, it's my nature."
  • bang 撞擊、猛擊
    例:If I wouldn't have banged my foot, I would've came in second. 如果我沒撞到腳,我早就是第二名了。
  • gourmet 美食家
    例:My wife was a gourmet cook.
  • powder room 化妝室、女廁所、洗手間 (比較高級的)
  • duct tape 膠帶 (銀色的那種)
  • in no shape for 沒有本錢、沒有能力、沒有好的狀況
    例:You're in no shape for disharmony.
  • disharmony 不和諧、不一致
  • tight-lipped 閉緊嘴巴的、保守祕密的、口風緊
    例:Officials close to investigation are keeping tight-lipped as it may involve a high-ranking Mafia member.
  • twist in the wind 在外受風吹雨打,比喻孤立無援,沒有人幫助。
    例:Where were you when I dropped out in the first place? I was twisting in the wind out there.
  • get a broom up/in one's ass/tail 賣命地做、拼命做,例:your broom-up-her-ass sister。
  • saving 存款、儲蓄
  • liquidator 清算人
  • termite 白蟻
  • flip-flop 夾鞋拖鞋
  • controversy 爭論、議論
    例:General George Patton knows that the controversy that have swirled about him have tarnished his reputation. He desperately wants to vindicate himself in the only way he knows how: In battle.
  • tarnish = darken 玷汙、使變暗
  • vindicate = justify 維護、表白、辯護
  • fierce 猛烈的、強烈的、兇猛的
    例:Patton's hatred for the enemy is matched only by his fierce concern for his men.
  • cliché 陳腔濫調、老生常談、老套
    例:That's kind of a cliché, isn't it?
  • disparaging = belittling = derogating = denigrating 輕視的、蔑視的
    例:I didn't mean to sound disparaging.
  • dodge a bullet 成功避開危險
    例:I dodged a very big bullet, and I'm feeling pretty good about it.
  • spinal cord 脊髓
  • poster boy / child 公益活動 (如某疾病基金會) 宣傳單或海報上的人或小孩,以鼓勵人捐款或發起某活動。
  • harbor master 港口的管理員
  • horsepower 馬力
  • starboard 右舷、船的右側;larboard 左舷

0 意見:

張貼留言