2008/11/15

The Sopranos 2x01 - Guy Walks Into a Psychiatrist's Office 英文筆記

  • security 證券,包括股票、債券等。
    例:This stockbroker's exam will test your basic knowledge of stocks, bonds, and other securities.
  • jokey 好笑的、笑話的
    例:You're a good guy, Tony, but you abuse that jockey shit.
  • turn one's heart to stone 變得冷酷無情
    例:I don't know it when every one of my friends turns their hearts to stone against me.
  • finger = point out 指出
    例:There was a rat. So you finger me?
  • out of the blue 突然地
    例:When out of the blue you come, and for no reason, you start telling me you're my friend!
  • for no reason 無緣無故
  • treason = betrayal 背叛
  • off-the-reservation 間諜、殺手或黑道成員背著老闆進行未受權的任務。
    例:Am I supposed to trust you? You off-the-reservation cocksucker!
  • spondylitis 脊椎炎
  • Percocet 一種止痛藥
  • jujube 棗子、一種水果軟糖
  • Puerto Rico 波多黎各,加勒比海上的一個國家。
  • vibe = vibration 震動、預兆
    例:My doctor prescribes this clinic for me in Puerto Rico. I didn't exactly object, given the vibes around here.
  • twat = cunt
  • acupuncturist 針灸師
  • sciatic 臀部的、坐骨的;sciatic nerve 坐骨神經
  • feeler 觸角、天線 (antenna)、試探者
  • pat 輕拍
  • predicate 動詞片語,一個句子通常由兩個部分組成,主詞和動詞片語。
  • piss boy 男僕 (有貶意)
  • We were late landing. 我們飛機延遲降落。
  • Coming off the lam, every nickel counts. 逃亡時每分錢都重要。
  • woe 痛苦、悲哀
    例:- What's been going on? - Same tale of woe...
  • no end = endless
    例:This upset Junior no end.
  • suffocate = smother 悶死、使窒息
    例:When Junior come after him, Tony went to the home, tried to suffocate his own mother.
  • portfolio 文件夾、投資組合
    例:Webistics would be perfect for your portfolio.
  • EF 字母 F 念慢一點就變成 E...F,可當作 fuck 的委婉說法。
  • tedious = boring = tiresome 無聊的、冗長乏味的
  • executive decision 主管、老闆做出的決定 (特別指一個人做出的決定)
  • sound 健全的、可靠的、合理的
    例:American Forestry? A very sound company.
  • forestry 林產、林地
  • mutual fund 共有基金
  • petition = request 請願、請求
    例:Your uncle's petitioning to get out of jail on a medical pending trial.
  • liable (法律上) 有義務的、傾向的、可能的
    例:Neil thinks they're liable to let him out.
  • temptation 誘惑
  • at the helm 掌權、控制
    例:Since you're at the helm, it all gets back to putting up bigger blinds.
  • rain dance 祈雨舞
  • commune 一群人共同生活、共享資源
    例:I'm gonna be 5 grand lighter before my sister rain dances back to the commune. 在我姊高高興興回去前,我會少掉五千元。(她姊可能打扮得很嬉皮,rain dance 和 commune 都是在諷刺嬉皮族。)
  • reunion 重聚、團圓
    例:We'll make a family reunion out of it.
  • pinch 掐、捏
  • bulldog 牛頭犬
  • crab 螃蟹、捕螃蟹
  • evaporate = vaporize 蒸發
    例:All my money that was on the street, all  those payments, I guest just evaporated?
  • to the letter 嚴格按照字句、按照規矩、照顧到每一個小細節
    例:All the pricks paid up to the letter?
  • pay up 付清
  • on a roll 正邁向成功的路、鴻運當頭
  • brokerage 股票經紀公司
  • Chip 'n Dale 迪士尼的卡通人物,兩隻花栗鼠 (chipmunk)。
  • ergonomic 人類工學的
  • rip off 偷
    例:My ergonomic pillow got ripped off at a bus stop in Rapid City.
  • linoleum 一種耐洗的地毯
  • Parvati 帕爾瓦蒂,印度教的一個女神。
  • regress 逆行、還原、回歸
    例:- You look like a teenager. - My therapist says I'm regressing.
  • State of Washington 華盛頓州,美國西北方的一個州。前面之所以常加上 "State of" 是因為要跟華府做區隔 (Washington, D.C.)。
  • disability 殘障、殘疾
  • Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) 一種病毒
  • chronic 慢性的 (疾病)、持續的
  • carpal tunnel (syndrome) 腕隧道症候群,又稱滑鼠手、鋼琴家手。
  • miso soup 味噌湯
  • seaweed 海草、海藻 
  • hip 流行的、時髦的
    例:Dad, how do you stay so hip?
  • lock away = lock up = lock in
    例:He'll eat anything that's not locked away.
  • in on 參與、干涉
    例:- You don't see your sister for years, right away you start in on her diet? - Believe me, she gives as good as she gets.
  • give as good as you get 對待別人跟別人對待你一樣好 (或壞)
  • sensational 極好的、轟動性的
    例:You look sensational, Janice. Not a line.
  • line 皺紋,
  • brunt 主力、重擔
    例:You're the one who stayed, you took the brunt.
  • pitch in 努力投入、幫助
  • conversion reaction 心理問題轉變成生理疾病
  • bring on 引起、導致
    例:Her stroke is called a conversion reaction. It's a big opera brought on by repressed rage. It's bullshit.
  • repressed 壓抑的、受抑制的
  • infarct 梗塞
  • bewilder = confuse 迷惑、不知所措
    例:Mom is bewildered by all of this. I mention you and her eyes fill up with tears.
  • Florence Nightingale 南丁格爾,英國護士及統計學家。
  • Porsche Carrera 保時捷
  • compliance officer 法規事務主管,負責確保公司營運的合法性。
  • impulse control 衝動控制
    例:You gotta exercise impulse control.
  • jackal 豺、走狗、爪牙
  • chore 雜事、零工、爛差事
  • set foot in 踏進、進入
    例:Now that the dragon lady's gone, they'll set foot in our house?
  • dragon lady 邪惡、心機重、很會算計、製造麻煩的女人
  • mope 憂鬱、消沉、鬱悶
    例:I'm telling you. You mope your way through this, I'll cut your throat.
  • self-medicate 不照醫生指示自己亂吃藥
  • bulletin board 公佈欄
  • cold call 打電話給陌生人推銷
  • OTC = over-the-counter 櫃台買賣、場外交易
  • pump and dump 一種股票詐騙的手法,先用低價大量買進某股票,想辦法騙別人去買以抬高股價,然後再一次賣掉手頭上的股票。
  • suavely 有禮貌地、討好地、親切地
  • SEC = Securities and Exchange Commission 美國證券交易委員會
  • broadside (車) 撞到旁邊
    例:I told my family I got broadsided, but I passed out behind the wheel.
  • behind the wheel 在車子裡面、在方向盤後
  • fall out 吵架
    例:My mother and me, we had a falling out.
  • profanity 褻瀆、不敬、粗俗的談話,這個字比起 blasphemy 和 sacrilege 程度較輕。
  • kick in 猛然進入,例:kick in the door。
  • putrescible 可分解的、可腐化的,例:non-putrescible waste。
  • ramification = branch 分枝、外節生枝
    例:I don't need the ramifications that could arise from treating someone like yourself.
  • goddess 女神
  • pound cake 奶油蛋糕 (原料都是一磅一磅的)
  • Mommy Dearest 作者 Christina Crawford 小時候被她的演員媽媽 Joan Crawford 虐待的回憶錄,有被拍成電影。
  • cannonball 炮彈
  • bear 生產、生育
    例:Some family reunion, the woman who bore them is barred from the premises.
  • bar 阻攔、封鎖
  • premises 房子、建築物及其地
  • will 遺囑
  • upkeep 維修費
    例:Tony pays for her retirement home, the upkeep on her car.
  • Ben & Jerry's 冰淇淋等甜品的品牌
  • from the first 從一開始
    例:She came here for the house and a $400 car. That's was the con from the first.
  • St. Bernard 聖伯納犬
  • first class 頭等、頂級
  • frequent flyer 常坐飛機的人,例:frequent flyer upgrade。
  • LSD = lysergic acid diethylamide 一種迷幻藥
  • divert 轉移、轉向
    例:I always thought there's some way to divert frequent flyer mileage on a grand scale.
  • tripping 嗑藥後茫了
    例:Are you tripping?
  • gas burner 瓦斯爐
  • be beyond sb. 使某人不瞭解
    例:Why you can't use a lighter to cook your shit like normal people is beyond me.
  • cutlery 刀、餐具、利器
  • practice 工作、專業
    例:- You don't answer my calls, I got no choice. - Walking away is a choice. Ruining my practice, it's a choice.
  • call in sick 打電話請病假
  • better off 情況更好
    例:They're better off with me than without me.
  • drive off 駛離
    例:I drove off the road a couple days back. 我前天開車偏離了道路 (撞到旁邊的東西)。

0 意見:

張貼留言