2009/05/25

The Sopranos 4x06 - Everybody Hurts 英文筆記

  • accomplished 熟練的、有造詣的、精通的
    例:Stone setters were all fairly accomplished.
  • craftsman 工匠、技工
  • gigantic 巨大的、龐大的
  • insert foot in mouth 罵別人不要亂說話
  • attack dog = guard dog 看門狗
  • be carded 被要求示出證件
    例:- Let's go to that strip club. - We'll get carded.
  • spring chicken 小雞、(沒經驗的) 年輕人
    例:Sil's a good consigliere, and will continue as such. But he's no spring chicken either.
  • butcher shop 肉店
  • clandestine 隱密的、秘密的、暗中的
    例:It looks really clandestine.
  • past curfew 過了門禁時間
    例:Your son's out past curfew again.
  • chandelier 吊燈
  • escarole 萵苣菜
  • red tape = bureaucratic routine 文件作業、行政程序
    例:- Did you try the bank. - No, the bank, red tape. I have only until the end of the week.
  • Little pitchers have big ears. 小茶壺有大耳朵,比喻小孩常會偷聽到不該聽的東西。
  • Armagnac 法國的白蘭地酒
  • dossier 檔案、文件紀錄
  • on fire 熱門的、炙火可熱的
    例:It is on fire now in France, and all over Europe.
  • not remotely 差得遠、連邊都沾不上
    例:- She's French? - Not remotely.
  • venture 冒險、投機、風險
    例:It's just a venture capital thing. with Jean-Philippe.
  • Bobby Flay 美國知名廚師
  • orthodonture = orthodontics 牙齒矯正學
  • classified ad 分類廣告
  • stole 女用披肩或圍巾
    例:She was selling her wolf stole. (狼毛披肩)
  • medium-well 七分熟 (介於 medium 和 well-done 之間)
  • chef whites 廚師的白袍
  • in a nutshell = in short 長話短說、簡單地
    例:Okay, in a nutshell. I'd like to borrow a little money.
  • hunky-dory = okay = fine 很好
    例:- Business okay? Everybody hunky-dory? - Well, you know, onward and upward.
  • onward and upward 蒸蒸日上、持續有進展
  • incompetent 無能力者、無能力的、不適任的
    例:I bet you didn't cut her a deal because you're an incompetent.
  • upfront 誠實的、坦白的
    例:I want you to know that I was upfront with her. She knew I was married.
  • slip through one's grasp/fingers 逃脫、溜走
    例:She slipped through everyone's grasp.
  • impinge 撞擊、侵犯、侵害
    例:Consider yourself lucky I didn't impinge on our friendship.
  • overbite (牙醫) 過度咬合
    例:If I was desperate, if Melissa had a tumor instead of an overbite...Madonna santo, knock wood.
  • knock (on) wood 好險、謝天謝地 (以前西方人相信敲樹木或木製十字架可帶來好運)
  • bridge loan 短期貸款
  • sweep 橫掃、襲捲、大流行
    例:This stuff is sweeping Europe.
  • product introduction 產品行銷 (對象是消費者或工廠)
  • snifter 狹口的酒杯 (常用來裝白蘭地)
  • hurry along 催、加快
    例:He said you called him last night to hurry things along?
  • croak 死亡、呱呱叫 (如青蛙或烏鴉)、發牢騷
    例:Now when I croak, it's her problem. 我死了,問題就是她的了。
  • lava 熔岩、火山岩
  • take the pressure off 減輕壓力、減輕負擔、分擔壓力
    例:That way Furio and Jessica could have come with us. It takes the pressure off of a blind date.
  • vice 惡習、壞習慣
    例:- I notice you like the good stuff. - My only vice.
  • compound (有圍牆的) 大宅院
    例:I pictured your house different. I thought it'd be like Don Corleone's compound with gate, wall, big old Cadillacs.
  • Harlem 曼哈頓的黑人住宅區
  • coverlet 床單、被單
  • food stamp (政府發放的) 食物卷
  • luck out 幸運、僥倖
    例:I guess I just lucked out to be rich and live in a big house.
  • gnocchi 一種義大利的食物,小麵團。
    例:I eat so much of your gnocchi, I'm gonna get a belly.
  • belly 腹、肚子
  • can't shake the flu 感冒一直好不了
    例:He can't seem to shake this flu.
  • marrow 骨髓、精華
  • liposuction 抽脂
  • soufflé 蛋白牛奶酥
  • gelato 義大利冰淇淋
  • sorbet 一種冰點
  • sampler 份量很少的 (法國) 料理。這是因為為了吃多種料理,所以每種量都很少。
    例:sorbet sampler
  • histamine 組織胺 (過敏時釋放的物質)
  • compelling 強制的、令人注目的、強迫性的
    例:What is so compelling to you about my personal business?
  • ogre 怪物、食人魔
  • tab = bill 帳單
    例:Artie, put that on my tab. 記在我的帳上
  • heads-up 小心、警告
    例:I just wanna give you a little heads-up.
  • get hold of 聯絡、控制、拿、找
    例:I can't get a hold of Jean-Philippe, he doesn't return my calls.
  • hound 獵、追捕、緊追
    例:You gotta spend all you time hounding them.
  • get arms around 掌控全局、對複雜的東西有全面的了解
    例:You gotta get your arms around this thing. 你必須掌控整個局面。
  • operating expense 營業費用
  • notary 公證人
  • perimeter 周長、周界、邊界
  • forsooth = in truth 真的、的確
    例:We shall know forsooth.
  • bo peep 偷看、探頭看一下
  • turntable 轉盤 (擺唱片的)
  • cornfield 麥田、玉米田、稻田
  • digestif (法國) 餐後酒
  • mug 搶劫 (在街上)、馬克杯
    例:You got mugged. Outside of your house, it was a street crime, kids.
  • deja vu (法語) 似曾相識的經驗
  • second nature 第二天性、老習慣
  • usury 高利貸
    例:As I understand it, you make a lot of your living through usury. So why the pangs of conscience this time?
  • pangs of conscience = guilty conscience 罪惡感
  • wiz = wizard 專家、行家、天才
    例:I heard Mr. Pillsbury is some kind of financial corporate wiz or something?
  • Pillsbury Doughboy 知名食品公司 Pillsbury 的招牌人物,麵團寶寶。

0 意見:

張貼留言